A delicious alternative to cheese!!
What you need:
- Raw cashews soaked in filtered water overnight (soaking is optional) – 2 cups
- Filtered water as needed for desired consistency 1/4 cup – 1/2 cup
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice 1/4 cup
- Nutritional yeast 1/2 cup
- Fresh garlic minced (depending on preference) 2 cloves
- Agar Powder 1 tsp (optional)
- Celtic sea salt 1 tsp
- Granulated garlic (optional) 1 tsp
- Freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley (optional) 1 Tbsp
What to do:
Rince the cashews and place them with, nutritional yeast, 1/2 of the water, 1/2 of the lemon juice, garlic and sea salt in the food processor and pulse until roughly blended.
Gradually add more lemon juice, garlic and salt to taste. I have listed granulated garlic as optional. I find this is a nice touch if you like a garlicky cheese.
Transfer the cheese to a bowl, and stir through the parsley if using.
The more water you add, the milkier and thinner the cheese will become. Add less water for a thicker, more rustic cheese.
That’s it. Yes it’s this simple!!!!
*Agar Agar powder is a vegetarian gelatine substitute, produced from a sea vegetable. Flavourless and odourless, used as a thickening agent. If you want your cheese to be sliceable then use agar.
Image credit: Pixabay